Sunday 12 February 2012

Artery-clogging goodness

It's a non-film related post! Finally! I knew it'd happen one day. And it's about baking! Who says a guy can't have two passions? Anyway, last year I founded a cake club at my place of work, and tomorrow is my cake today, so I've been busy this weekend whipping up some delectable delights. First up is a favourite of mine, millionaire's shortbread. I tend to bake a little on the large side (you are what you eat, after all) and here is no exception, with these chunks of joy being a good inch thick. The caramel centre is a bit too much in comparison to the shortbread and chocolate, but damn they taste good.




 

I always like to make two kinds of cake for cake club, just in case someone doesn't like the cake I've made. Someone brought in some shop-bought Snowballs last week and they went down quite well (not with me, don't really like marshmallow or coconut, but there's more in the world than just me), so I thought I'd give them a go. I made some marshmallows for my girlfriend last week as an early Valentine's gift as we can't see each other this coming Tuesday (the mallows can be seen on her wonderful blog here) and as I'm nothing if not competetive, I wanted to see if I could make some better than Tesco sells. I used the marshmallow recipe from the amazing Hope & Greenwood book, but poured it into cupcake cases instead of a tray to make the snowball shape (I know, I'm a genius). The chocolate-covering process was a little difficult and had to be done in stages of top, bottom, one side and then the other, with coconut being added before the chocolate hardened, but I think they look pretty good. I'll let you know how I get on.


No comments:

Post a Comment