Sunday 8 January 2012

October 1917: 10 Days that Shook the World

I’ll be honest, about 10 minutes into this film I got up and started making my dinner, occasionally glancing at the screen just to make sure I wasn’t missing anything important. This is a propaganda piece made for the 10th anniversary of the Russian revolution, made by several filmmakers, led by Sergei Eisenstein. The ‘film’ re-enacts the first days of the revolution, shows inspirational imagery of men drinking together, and is occasionally intercut with large text proclaiming FRIEND! or BROTHER! or some such nonsense. I’m sure it served its purpose back in the day, but is it really necessary to include this on a list of films you must see before you die? I could have quite happily died without seeing this film. Hell, halfway through I could have quite happily just died.
Choose life 1/10

2 comments:

  1. Then you would have missed the fearsome Womens Death Battalion, the meanest bitches this side of Novosibirsk.

    No, honestly you would not have missed much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figured as much! I got it through LoveFilm, and the reviews on there basically said something along the lines of "I got bored after 5 minutes" or "There's no point to this" so I gave it a shot, and ignored most of it. I honestly cannot remember a whole lot about it.

      Delete